A lot of factors contribute to what makes a great DJ, but here is a list of just some of the qualities to look for when hiring a DJ for your party, event or wedding:
- Arrives early for every event. A professional DJ will arrive 60-30 minutes before the start of any event, will set-up in a timely manner, have completed any sound checks and be ready to start playing BEFORE the event is to commence
- Comes dressed to suit the occasion. A professional DJ will be neatly presented. and you should expect formal pants and a collared shirt for any wedding, black tie or corporate event
- Looks relaxed and comfortable behind the decks. A good DJ should be looking out at the crowd and responding to what the guests want played. This is ‘reading the crowd’ and the DJ should know what tracks to play and when to play them. The DJ should give the vibe that he is enjoying it, as your guests will feed off this energy
- Plays the music that YOU want played, and that of your guests. Not what he wants played for his own enjoyment. Period
- Understands that practice makes perfect. A good DJ will consistently practice and strive to perfect his beat matching, scratching, mixing and ‘mash-ups’ skills in order to be the best that he can be, for you
These are just some of the qualities that make a great DJ which might help you make a decision when looking for the best DJ to hire for your wedding, party, corporate event/function, school disco or formal, deb, valedictory or any function that you want fantastic music and entertainment for!