Music selection for your party: How to choose!
It can be overwhelming when it comes to selecting music for your party, especially when your DJ/DJ company boasts to having upwards of 50,000 songs in their collection.
So where do you start when making a song list?
- Make sure your DJ/DJ company gives you their song list as this will give you an idea of what’s in their library
- Go through the list and tick your favourite songs which make for great party/dancing songs too (it might sound good to you to select all of your favourite songs, but if all these songs aren’t what most of your guests will enjoy too, you might end up with a poor atmosphere at your party with none of your guests dancing or enjoying themselves). Ticking your favourite songs also gives the DJ an idea of the kind of songs you like, so he/she will be able to mix in other songs on the night similar to the style/s you have already selected
- Share the list with your friends/family who can also select some of their favourite songs too – that way, you will have a list of music to please a wide range of your guests
- Bear in mind that for a typical 5 hour party, anywhere from 60-120 songs may be played, so if you select more than this, be prepared that some may not get played. With this in mind, make sure the songs you do select are the ones that you and your guests can really enjoy and dance to
- Alternatively, instead of selecting songs, give your DJ an idea of the genres/styles of music you enjoy and leave the rest up to him/her! That way, your DJ can select the best songs that people respond to from his/her experience, and you and your guests can make requests too!